Sunday, September 7, 2014

Brian's Close Enough Job

     I was unable to find my ideal job on this website due to the fact that campaign season is ending soon and if they were in a bad enough position to fire their public relations staff then they probably aren't going to win. So instead of working for politicians to get them in office in Washington D.C. I decided to work for lawyers in Washington D.C. as I figured that was close enough. The Zuckerman Spaeder LLP is hiring for a Public Relations Specialist to handle media outreach, manage event and speaking opportunities, help secure award and recognition opportunities,  do a little work with their website, and work with their team in New York.
     What attracted me to this job was the fact that it required a great deal of tact, diplomacy, and judgement as well as skills in developing networks of media contacts. I've always been good about knowing what to say or not to say and when. I also enjoy networking and have a skill at getting people to want to work with me. The job handles several different task so I wouldn't get bored which is a serious upside. I would be able to work on my own and on a team depending on the situation so I wouldn't get burned out of doing either. Their big focus on the job is strong communication skills and I'm an effective communicator. Plus I would get to travel between D.C. and New York which are two of my favorite cities I've been to.
     The skills I would need to work on would be organizational skills and focusing on deadlines. I'm not terrible with either, but I could benefit greatly from learning those skills.
     The challenging parts of the job would be the work load, the tight deadlines, and the fact that I'm trying to make lawyers look good. I'm not opposed to being busy, but this seems like it could get unwieldy at times. The deadlines could be tough, but if I was just working I would be better at remembering what needs to be done and when and making sure things get in to the proper people at the right times. Then there is a amount of time I would be spending with lawyers and how to make them come off good. Even just the word "lawyer" makes people cringe or roll their eyes. Luckily, I have an interest in law and some experience with making undesirable people come off likable.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree with you with the tight deadlines would be a challenging but, I believe your very capable of making the deadlines on time. It just takes time getting use too the idea that time is precious.

    ReplyDelete