Sunday, September 7, 2014

Kayla's Ideal Job

Communication Manager/Promotions Specialist

"The Communications Manager / Promotions Specialist will lead the communications, promotion/marketing and PR activities for Kensington Publishing Corp’s mystery and thriller line".

The very first sentence of the job description got me right away with the words mystery and thriller, the only books that I will ever read.  Part of this job would be to literally talk to authors about the books that I love. Not only would I be in New York doing this, but I would also have the ability to travel around the country to meet authors and talk to fellow readers of this genre. Yet, there would be some challenged to this job.

So far in my college career for mass media I haven't worked much with actual books. All of my learning has been focused on learning the newest social media site or technology for tracking flow. This would be a mixture of traditional and advancing media which would take a while to get used to.

In order to live up to the challenges I would need to sharpen up on traditional media print. Most book readers prefer the actual book to e-book still. I would also need to work on my ability on communicating with different varieties of people to convey the same message. Giving the same message in a pitch to different audiences like the author and the readers.

1 comment:

  1. The dual aspect of pitching the same message to different audiences seems like a pretty cool challenge to tackle. And although most people do still prefer physical books (I'm one of them), I think eventually that will change. Tomorrow's generation is going to be more addicted to gadgets.

    Here's a very useful website that has a bunch of statistics that will certainly help you in your dream job. It's from the Pew Research Internet Project.

    http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/01/16/a-snapshot-of-reading-in-america-in-2013/

    ReplyDelete