Sunday, September 7, 2014

Tyler Wright Ideal Job

My ideal job for after graduation would be an Athletics Communications Specialist for Cal Poly State University in San Luis Obispo, California. The duties of this position include but are not limited to independently overseeing all sports information activities and procedures in three or more of the 21 NCAA Division I sports offered at Cal Poly. A specific list of the duties include develop communication themes, concepts and ideas and determine methods to achieve goals. Also must write, layout, edit, and produce media guides, brochures, game programs, news releases and game stories for each assigned sport,  as well as other sports as needed. The last duty that comes with this position is full control over the Webpage, GoPoly.com

I would like this job because I love anything that deals with sports. Even the ones I'm lesser familiar with intrigue me. I would also be working right along side the coaches and players and I would feel like I was apart of the teams that I was assigned to work with. Lastly I am a nerd when it comes to statistics in sports. I could look them up all day everyday and being in control of the webpage would allow me to do that.

The most challenging part of this job would be all of the hours that would have to be put in. Figuring out how to manage my time between designing brochures to attending games would be something that would not come easy but easily improvable. Also being in control of an entire athletic department's website as well as attending the events would be extremely challenging.

Knowing all of the NCAA bylaws as related to sports information and athletics' media relations would be an area that I need to improve. Also I need to make sure I'm proficient with my computer skills and with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, desktop publishing, graphic design, and online systems.

2 comments:

  1. As for all the regulations and bylaws of NCAA, I assume it would help to start brushing up on everything now ahead of time. Especially if you are trying to land an internship with an athletic associated college right after you graduate. That might be the thing that sets you apart from other applicants once you apply. Other than that, I love the idea of working for a collegiate sports program. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This job seems very interesting and exciting at the same time. I think it would be cool to be an Athletics Communications Specialist for a University, especially if you really love all sports and statistics. It seems like all the things you would be responsible for, we have worked on in the Mass Media Department, so I'm sure you would be great thanks to the practice you have received from Washburn. Great job choice and I'm sure you would do great!

    ReplyDelete